Monday, October 14, 2013

My role as the designer and challenges

My role as a designer
As the designer, my role is to interpret the client’s requirements into a specific design scheme, to supervise the construction of the building to ensure that the building conforms to the drawings. As the designer I also have to keep the client updated on the progress of work and to advise where and when necessary. I have to ensure that the design fulfills the Clients brief, meets the Design Standards required by the Country/Area where the building is being constructed, meets the budget and ensure that the building can be constructed, used and maintained safely. The designer’s role is not at all restricted to the technical there is more responsibility often without the corresponding authority and control. As the leader of the design team I am required to infuse the team with a common vision and to motivate them to do their best work. As such, this requires dedication and passion, and a strong belief that I can lead the effort.

Possible challenges

 Possible challenges I foresee or anticipate with this role are relating to budget, code restrictions and time. As the designer whatever I design has to be within the client’s budget, ensuring that the entire project doesn’t go above budget is essential but at this time I have no idea what the budget is. The code restrictions as to where we can build and what constraints exist will influence the designer’s creativity. The biggest challenge however is the time factor, with just 8 weeks to design, build, install, observe and dismantle the team will be hard-pressed to deliver this project in a timely manner. It would test how well the members of the design team are able to cooperate and collaborate with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment