Wednesday, October 9, 2013

role playing exercise week 1

My role is the government/regulator.  My job is to make sure the object constructed and method of construction obeys any codes, laws and rules.  I can make design suggestions, but not enforce changes unless they violate a code law or rule. This could create conflicts due to rule restrictions of others ideas or personal frustrations at seeing bad design ideas that I don't have the authority to reject or change. 

Personally my biggest challenge is going to be the International Building Code.  I'm already familiar with ADA regulations and rules for school policy are fairly straight forward.  But I'm not familiar enough with the IBC to know all potential conflicts and the language is confusing since I'm not familiar with all the terms and categories it keeps referencing and the online version isn't easy to skim since it only shows a small section at a time and you need to go backward to pick a different section.  The school also has many copies of the book, but they are only for reference within the library so can't be brought onsite for easy reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment